Beaverton, OR asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Civil Rights for Oregon

Q: I was wrongfuly convicted of a crime and later won my appeal. I want to sue the state which can be explained to a lawyer

Financial hardship, mental abuse, child endangerment, harassment, sexual abuse. Child trauma, emotional distress, all these things happened to me and my children

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you were wrongfully convicted of a crime in Oregon but later won your appeal, you may have grounds to pursue legal action against the state for the hardships and trauma you and your children experienced. Wrongful convictions can lead to significant emotional, financial, and reputational damages, and the law provides mechanisms for seeking justice and compensation in such cases.

To pursue this, it’s advisable to consult with an attorney experienced in wrongful conviction and civil rights cases. They can assess the details of your case, including the impact on your family, and advise on the viability of a lawsuit against the state.

Your attorney can guide you through the process of filing a civil suit, which may seek compensation for financial hardship, emotional distress, and other damages resulting from the wrongful conviction. They can also help you navigate the complex legal requirements and procedures involved in such cases.

Remember, each case is unique and the legal process can be challenging, but seeking justice and compensation for the wrongs you’ve endured is a critical step in moving forward. An attorney will be your advocate, ensuring that your rights are protected and your voice is heard.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.