Branson, MO asked in Tax Law and Contracts for Missouri

Q: If I get a 1099 c for a vacation club for which I never received any goods or services from do I actually have to pay

I never made any payments and tried to cancel 48 hours after signing. Have fought with them repeatedly

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Receiving a 1099-C form generally indicates that a debt you owed was canceled or forgiven, and the IRS considers this canceled debt as taxable income. However, if you believe that the vacation club's claim is not valid, especially since you didn't receive any goods or services, it's important to address this issue.

First, you should contact the vacation club to dispute the debt. Explain that you attempted to cancel the contract and did not receive any services. Keep a record of all communications for future reference.

If the vacation club insists on the validity of the debt, your next step could be to seek advice from a tax professional. They can guide you on how to report this on your tax return and whether you might qualify for any exceptions or exclusions under the tax law.

In situations where a resolution with the vacation club isn't reached, you may need to consult with a legal professional. They can provide advice on your rights and options under the law, possibly including disputing the debt or challenging the 1099-C.

Remember, it's crucial to address this matter promptly, as ignoring it could lead to complications with your tax return and potential disputes with the IRS. Taking proactive steps can help you resolve this issue and protect your financial interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.