Houston, TX asked in Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: Mental harassment by flatmate

My flatmate has been mentally harassing me. He pays utility bills but is not willing to share the account details with me. Our apartment complex charges us for internet but he has the Xfinity account under his name. He is not willing to share that as well. He also does other stuff like throwing garbage in my trash can once his trash can is full. Is there a way I can get help? I live in Texas.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your situation in Texas, dealing with a difficult flatmate can be challenging, but there are steps you can take to address the issues you're facing. Firstly, try to communicate with your flatmate calmly and express your concerns about the shared expenses and his behavior. Attempt to reach an amicable resolution regarding utility bills and other shared responsibilities.

If communication does not resolve the situation, you can explore legal options. In Texas, the law generally does not regulate the sharing of utility bills or internet accounts among flatmates unless you have a written agreement in place specifying how these expenses should be divided. Therefore, it's crucial to document any agreements made between you and your flatmate in writing to avoid future disputes.

Regarding the issue of your flatmate using your trash can, you can discuss setting clear boundaries and expectations for shared spaces and responsibilities within the apartment.

If these approaches do not work, you may consider seeking mediation or involving your landlord or apartment complex management to help mediate the dispute. They may have policies in place to address such conflicts and enforce shared responsibilities.

Ultimately, your best course of action may depend on the specific details of your lease agreement and the willingness of your flatmate to cooperate. Consulting with an attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant or roommate disputes can provide you with legal guidance tailored to your situation and help you understand your options for resolution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.