Moore, OK asked in Civil Litigation for Oklahoma

Q: Bought a car from a friend he took it back won't give it back

I didn't have enough time to get it put over my name got pulled over it got impounded he got it out and I won't give me my car back what can I do about that I only had it 3 weeks and I have 30 to 60 days to get it put over in my name

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you bought the car from your friend and have some documentation or proof of purchase, you may be able to take legal action to get the car back. Here are a few options to consider:

1. Talk to your friend and request the return of the car. Show him any receipts, bill of sale, or other documents that show you purchased the vehicle. If he still refuses, tell him you will take legal action.

2. Send your friend a formal demand letter by certified mail, requesting the immediate return of the vehicle. State that he sold you the car, you have proof, and his failure to return it will result in legal action.

3. File a small claims court case against your friend for the return of the car or payment of the purchase amount. Bring copies of any documentation showing the car's sale to you. Also request court fees.

4. File a replevin action to recover personal property wrongfully taken. This asks the court to order the car be seized from your friend and returned to you.

5. File a police report for stolen property. Show the police your proof of purchase. This may prompt your friend to agree to return the car when questioned.

Be sure to act quickly while you still have time to transfer the title. Consult a local attorney if you need help getting the car returned lawfully.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.