Verbena, AL asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Alabama

Q: If I have a pistol in my car is my husband who which is an ex-felon be allowed to ride in my car?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's important to be aware that federal and state laws regarding firearms, felons, and possession can vary. Generally, under federal law, it is illegal for a convicted felon to possess a firearm, including riding in a car where there is a firearm, even if they do not own or physically possess the firearm. However, state laws can also play a significant role in these cases.

In Alabama, state law may provide certain exceptions or different regulations regarding firearms and ex-felons. It is essential to consult with an attorney in your specific jurisdiction to get accurate legal advice tailored to your situation. They can provide guidance on how state and federal laws apply in your case and whether there are any exceptions or restrictions that may allow your husband to ride in your car when there is a firearm present.

It's important to be cautious and fully understand the legal implications, as violations of firearms laws, especially involving felons, can result in serious legal consequences. Consulting with an attorney will help you make informed decisions while staying within the boundaries of the law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.