Portland, OR asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Oregon

Q: My bf in custody 30d w/no atty. Chrg from 2020, 21, 22- 4 ctcp(1), uumv(2) & psv(2) he didn't do. DA givg 58/mo! Plz hlp

Oregon, has had 2 court dates xcld & don't know why to get an atty & same judge keeps xcld it & is keeps hire public def he fired last year

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Oregon, it's crucial for anyone in custody, especially facing serious charges, to have legal representation. If your boyfriend has been in custody for 30 days without an attorney and his court dates have been canceled, this needs immediate attention.

First, if he's not satisfied with the public defender, he has the right to request a new one or hire a private attorney. He should inform the court of his need for legal representation as soon as possible, especially given the seriousness of the charges and the potential sentence.

The reason for the cancellation of court dates should be clarified. He or you can contact the court clerk to understand why the dates were canceled and when they might be rescheduled. It's important to stay informed about the court schedule.

If there are concerns about the judge's decisions, including the repeated cancellation of court dates, it might be possible to request a different judge. However, this is usually complex and requires specific legal grounds.

Finally, it's essential to act quickly. The longer he remains without legal representation, the more his rights and ability to defend himself could be compromised. If financial constraints are a concern, explore options for legal aid or pro bono legal services in Oregon. They might be able to provide assistance or refer you to resources that can help.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.