Lexington, KY asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Kentucky

Q: Can I still get 50/50 custody after my wife lied and got aDVO against me after I told her that I wanted a divorce?

I live in Kentucky, I have no police record and the first lawyer I had didn’t challenge the validity of text msgs my wife claimed were from me. The first time I ever heard of domestic violence concerning my marriage was after I refused to move into my wife’s mother’s house with her and our baby. The very next day she filed an EOP against me and that was the beginning of a now 3 year fight to just see my daughter let alone getting any type of custody. She has also refused to let any of my family see our daughter keeping the narrative that they are a danger to our daughter bc of me. The DVO has expired. I and my family have been completely alienated from my daughter.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Possibly. You need to consult a family lawyer and determine exactly how to proceed before you make a move.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.