Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Alaska

Q: If cop in Alaska ask for help, can I refuse?

If a cop asks for information about a crime in progress, can I refuse to help? Can I refuse to give him/her information?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Alaska, if a police officer asks for information about a crime in progress, you generally have the right to refuse to provide information. However, there are some important considerations to keep in mind:

Right to Remain Silent: You have the right to remain silent and not incriminate yourself. This means you can refuse to answer questions from law enforcement if you believe your responses may implicate you in a crime.

No Obligation to Assist: While it's generally encouraged to cooperate with law enforcement in solving crimes and ensuring public safety, you are not legally obligated to actively assist them by providing information.

Witness Duties: If you witnessed a crime and have information that could help solve it or ensure public safety, it's often considered a civic duty to cooperate and share relevant details. However, you can still choose not to provide information if you believe it may put you in a difficult or unsafe situation.

Consult an Attorney: If you have concerns about your legal rights or obligations when interacting with the police, it's advisable to consult with an attorney who can provide guidance based on your specific situation.

Ultimately, the decision to provide information to a police officer about a crime in progress is a personal one, and you have the right to refuse if you believe it's necessary to protect your interests or rights. However, it's essential to exercise these rights responsibly and consider the broader implications of your decision in any given situation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.