Hilliard, OH asked in Family Law and Child Support for Ohio

Q: My child is over 18 and under my medical insurance. Separation agreement says we split medical expenses.

My daughter has anorexia and was diagnosed when she was 15. She’s been in a lot of treatment over the years. Last year she was in a treatment center that cost $15k out of pocket. My seperate agreements states we split medical bills. Does the splitting of medical bills stop when my daughter turned 18? Should I pursue a contempt case against my ex who is refusing to pay her part? Or, is there nothing legally I can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: In general the duty to support goes to age18 or graduation from high school, whichever comes later. If she hasn't graduated you may be able to enforce payment. If she has graduated then she is no longer part of your divorce decree and he has no duty to support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.