Queens, NY asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for New York

Q: would I need a Utility lawyer?

bought 2 houses in Niagara Falls (but due to family reasons never moved in) , live in NYC, last winter, got a bill from Niagara water board, for $6000, we were away from USA, on our return, when i went to check out, there was water burst broken pipe, got it fixed, following quarter, we still got a bill of $12,000 (+ $2000 in some kind of penalty and interest), i explained the situation to one of the agents, they said they can only remove the additional penalty and interest, but we have to pay the rest.

We were informed (more like misinformed) that bill will automatically go to my taxes following year, so we figured we will make some kind of plan.

Our houses as of now are due for $18000 or so in bills, including some snow and garden cleaning from city dept. as well , was wondering,

1- what kind of attorney should we hire, to take this matter to court, if at all possible?

2- how should we proceed , (one of them is not inhabitable as of now) other one got this utility issue.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You could look into utility lawyers, but if you're thinking along the lines of electric utilities/energy in the category you chose, those law firms tend to be geared more toward large oil, energy, gas, or mineral rights matters. The following categories might be closer to individual matters such as yours - Consumer Law, Civil Litigation, Contracts, Real Estate Law. In terms of your second question, that's something that law firms that handle such matters could advise more meaningfully on. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.