Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Energy, Oil and Gas legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
New York Energy, Oil and Gas Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Energy, Oil and Gas and Municipal Law for New York on
Q: Nyseg took the meter from my house, yesterday, a week after restarting my account. It is 15°

I am disabled, working through repairs from an electric fire. Are they responsible for broken pipes because they filled the lines with water, allowing the electric on, then caused the freeze with no notice removal. Fresh foods frozen, botled water froze(no electric no waterpump no toilets)

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Mar 24, 2024

I'm sorry for the stressful situation you have been placed into. It could be difficult for an attorney to offer a simple, direct answer to your question in the brief post without knowing more details, and figuring out what happened here. Until you're able to discuss with a local attorney,... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas and Landlord - Tenant for New York on
Q: Can my Landlord charge me $1,080 for the gas heating each month? I rent a 2- bedroom apartment in westchester county NY

We didn’t have to pay for gas/heating the first year we lived here, however last year apparantly prices went up and he started charging each apartment (4 total) about $200-$300 additionally each month during the winter only for this reason. This past week, they came to refill the houses gas tanks... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Nov 4, 2023

Your landlord can charge for gas heating if it's stipulated in your lease agreement. If your lease specifies that heating costs are included in the rent, then your landlord generally cannot add additional charges without your consent or without renegotiating the lease. Increases in utility... View More

Q: How would someone get basic information (i.e. claimant name and payout amount) from the BP Oil Spill settlements?

Know that 2019 US Courts ruled that the information can now be viewed by the public.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Oct 21, 2022

The US EPA has a link - "Case and Settlement Information" on their site -

They provide information on earlier settlements. You could check if they have updates or if they could direct you to resources with...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for New York on
Q: would I need a Utility lawyer?

bought 2 houses in Niagara Falls (but due to family reasons never moved in) , live in NYC, last winter, got a bill from Niagara water board, for $6000, we were away from USA, on our return, when i went to check out, there was water burst broken pipe, got it fixed, following quarter, we still got a... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 21, 2024

You could look into utility lawyers, but if you're thinking along the lines of electric utilities/energy in the category you chose, those law firms tend to be geared more toward large oil, energy, gas, or mineral rights matters. The following categories might be closer to individual matters... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas and Municipal Law for New York on
Q: We have an electric poll on the property that has caused several problems one, was almost burned our house down.

I have called the electric co. no response It is grandfather in. I have called the public comm.,town of Owego. I get no replies. To have it removed I was told back then in2000 it would cost me 20,000 dollars to move the poll. Can u help me? Thank you. From

Apalachin NY.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Feb 23, 2023

From your post, it looks like you've already reached out to the electric utility and the Public Service Commission. Given the fire hazard you describe, you could also try reaching out to local fire & safety departments and elected officials for guidance. Good luck

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Energy, Oil and Gas and Environmental for New York on
Q: how to get would settlement copies of documents from bp oil spill payout to specific claimant?
David H. Relkin
David H. Relkin
answered on Oct 4, 2022

If you are asking about the Deepwater Horizon, please let me know and I can answer the question.

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas, Environmental, Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for New York on
Q: Was there any kind of settlement for the people in sugarcreek missouri for the ammaco oil refinery spill

I know at one point there was a letter sent to my grandmother in regards to a settlement but it was determined we wasn't zoned in. I understand we were zoned in at a later date. My grandmother and grandfather both died of cancer in that rachet town because of the oil spill and I feel justice... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Feb 4, 2022

I'm sorry for the loss of your grandmother and grandfather. You could search online for case records of individual claimants under the spill (or its associated clean-up and remediation efforts), or whether a class of plaintiffs was formed. If venue for the action was in Missouri, another... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law, Construction Law, Education Law and Energy, Oil and Gas for New York on
Q: can you help me sue my dead grandma

they dead

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 6, 2022

If this involves something with an estate or will, you might have better chances of a reply in the Probate or Estate Planning categories under New York. But in either case, it would be difficult for attorneys here to reach out to you to help with a lawsuit - this forum does not work like an... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law, Energy, Oil and Gas and Landlord - Tenant for New York on
Q: I own a Condo (which is on the 3rd floor) and the gas was shut off because of a gas leak

but the gas leak is not in my apartment or in the walls

it might be in the rizer from the ground floor to my apartment but my plumber could not find it


who is responsible to fix that is it the condo owner

or the condo management board

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
answered on Jan 5, 2022

Condo Management

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for New York on
Q: not sure how to proceed Rochester Gas & Electric has triple billed me with before the other bills were paid. total 955.

my energy bill is on auto pay they have not even waited for the payment before bill me again so far they have triple billed for a sum of $955.10 they did not take out the payment for September added October to that bill and now have add October to Novembers bill have called them and every time... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Oct 19, 2021

This is more a Consumer Law matter than Energy, Oil & Gas, which involves leases, drilling rights, land use, and related issues. If you're not able to resolve this through their customer service and the cooperation of your bank/credit card, one option could be to contact the New York State... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for New York on
Q: Is filling up gas from a truck to a car legal in NY?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Mar 11, 2021

You might need to check across several sources of law for that because it could involve regulations for transport, sale, metering, vapor recovery, fire prevention, safety, or other areas. Additionally, the regulations could possibly involve agencies on different levels (federal, state, etc.).... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Energy, Oil and Gas and Libel & Slander for New York on
Q: Professional reputation damage control (Cease & desist letter? To who/what company? Better options?)

Terminated from contract role after weeks of increasingly hostile treatment from my supervisor (partner at the firm) & another project lead (new contract worker. Old friend of supervisor). I received entirely positive feedback for months until they botched a proposal and lost the client. The... View More

V. Jonas Urba
V. Jonas Urba
answered on Apr 29, 2020

It's also a huge city which is actually very small. Professionals rarely have time to ruin other professionals' lives. They also don't want to give some law firm ammunition for a lawsuit. Remember, it's a one-party consent state to record others so I assume that I am being... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Energy, Oil and Gas and Environmental for New York on
Q: I had my furnace replaced in Feb of 2019. It was never installed properly, I'm now getting the run-around, what to do?

My husband knew something wasn't right with the install, we had them come over several times as our humidity was was out of control. Every time a tech came over, they insisted that all we needed was to spend thousands more to get a whole home dehumidifier. One time they were at my home... View More

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
answered on Aug 20, 2019

If there is a warranty, make a claim. You can also do a small claims case for the damages.

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for New York on
Q: Co-Edison is fixing for 6 months gas connection. They cover temporary the hole on the street with a iron plaque

The noisy is unbearable specially apartments which face the street

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jun 8, 2019

You could try contacting them through one of their numbers. Those steel plates are used throughout the City for temporary road repairs following excavations on underground utilities. Depending on how they are seated, the plates could bang when vehicles pass over them. Hopefully they could send out... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Energy, Oil and Gas for New York on
Q: Since the solar company has not placed the solar system in service, can I cancel the agreement?

I told the solar company's rep. that I would not do a contract, to lease the solar system, if the company will put a lien against my house. The rep. informed me the company wouldn't put a lien against my house. My contract states the company, or its affiliates won't apply a lien to... View More

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
answered on Aug 31, 2018

If they installed the system, they are not going to let you terminate the contract. News 12 just did a report on this. The UCC is not a lien on the whole house, just the solar system. The problem is that some banks do not know how to read it so it is an issue on refinance.

3 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Business Law, Energy, Oil and Gas and International Law for New York on
Q: Is it possible to claim legal ownership over all the dark matter in this universe?

I know I'm going to sound crazy on this one. I have been seeing a lot of celebrities buying acres of land on the moon, and it got me wondering if there is any possible way for one entity - albeit a company or a country - to claim ownership over all the dark matter/energy in this universe? Can... View More

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
answered on Feb 23, 2018

There is a minute of my life I'll never get back. Seriously, all space issues are governed by UN treaty, so no.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.