Hillsborough, NJ asked in Family Law for New Jersey

Q: can i sue my legal guardian for emotional abuse and neglect when i turn 18?

I have ample evidence such as videos photos I have documents, proving that he left me home alone for 10 months and then he doesn’t buy food. Cps had to get me a bed, buy me clothes and food because he did not want to. I also have family biological family to testify on my behalf I just can’t deal with this anymore and I need to do something. and i turn 18 in 8 months

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I dont know what county you live in, but each county offers free counseling services for teens to help cope with an abusive home setting. I would start with the counseling services and during your counseling, you can start to explore options available to you to redress your guardian's actions/inactions and learn what resources may be available to you.

Here is the resource address for Union County to take a look at:


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.