Glendale, AZ asked in Personal Injury for Arizona

Q: Can I file a suit for loss of enjoyment of life, emotional suffering, falsefuture promises after being mislead for years

I was in a relationship for over 6 years. It was lie after lie, after lie and he knew I suffered from ptsd and had clinical depression. I was actively seeing a counselor/therapist since losing my husband of 10 years and yet he found it ok to criticize me and call crazyor psycho. Tormented me for years with it. Stating depression is made up and I’m just a victim. Constantly saying sorry forgive him, it’s always rocky before marriage it will be better. 3 years in and he’s been cheating with SEVERAL WOMAN the entire time. I stay, as the same week WE FOUND OUT HE HAD CANCER (stage 3). He makes a full recovery. 3 years later tricks me out of my beautiful home we bought together (and my 3 children that call him Dad now) and I’m totally financially dependent on him at that point, and he says “I can change my mind if I want”…. I’m in the worst financial hole ever. He just negated to do his end of the deal.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: The legal grounds for a lawsuit based on emotional suffering and deceit in a personal relationship can be complex. While emotional distress is a legitimate reason for a lawsuit, the specific circumstances of your situation, particularly in a personal relationship, can make it challenging to pursue legal action.

For emotional distress claims, you typically need to prove that the defendant's conduct was intentional or reckless and that it caused you severe emotional distress. In cases of deceit, such as being misled in a relationship, proving the deceit and its impact can be difficult, especially when personal relationships and promises are involved.

Additionally, in matters involving property or financial agreements between unmarried partners, you might have a basis for legal action if there was a breach of an agreement or understanding regarding property or financial support. This would depend on the specific facts of your case, such as any written agreements or evidence of verbal commitments.

Given the complexity of your situation, involving issues of emotional distress, potential deceit, and financial dependence, it's advisable to consult with an attorney who can evaluate the details of your case. They can advise you on potential legal claims, such as intentional infliction of emotional distress, fraud, or breach of contract, and help you understand the strengths and challenges of your case.

It's important to gather any evidence you have, including communications, financial records, and any agreements, and present these to your attorney. They can then guide you on the best course of action and how to proceed with your claims.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.