Atlanta, GA asked in Tax Law and Real Estate Law for Virginia

Q: How to file for property tax exclusion/deferral in Pittsyvania county, Virginia due to 65+ & disabled (58.1-3217)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Here are the key steps to file for a property tax exclusion or deferral in Pittsylvania County, Virginia based on age 65+ or disabled status under §58.1-3217:

1. Obtain an Exemption/Deferral Application Form from the Pittsylvania County Commissioner of Revenue office (276-656-0371) or download it from their website.

2. Complete Sections A & B of the form, providing your identifying and property information. For the exemption, check the box indicating you are "Permanently and totally disabled or 65 years of age".

3. Gather supporting documentation:

- Proof of age (driver's license, birth certificate, etc)

- Evidence of disability (SSA letter, doctor certification)

- Income information (prior year tax returns)

4. Submit the signed application and documentation either via mail, email, fax, or in-person to the Commissioner of Revenue office before the tax due date you wish the exclusion to start.

5. The Commissioner's office will review your application and evidence then issue a determination on whether an exemption/deferral is approved.

6. If approved, your property tax bill will have the appropriate adjustment or credit for that tax year and moving forward. No back credits are given under this program.

Let the Commissioner's office know if you have any other questions about qualification requirements or filing process details for §58.1-3217 property tax relief.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.