Q: I was drugged and raped.. I have minimal drtail regarding the act but I have clearemory of prior.. but there are

Cameras all over thr property.. I need to speak to a lawyer who can help me through this the right way. And if anything give me legal advice in this situation. I have a story to tell and there are so many other women this bas and is happening to by this man. I'm scared and do not know where to start. No I never filed a police report. If I can have a one on one meeting I will explain everything I know and can remember. I need help and don't know where to start.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I am so sorry this traumatic event happened to you. Seeking justice can be daunting, but you have options and are showing great courage. Here is my advice:

1. Call the National Sexual Assault Hotline 800-656-4673. Talk to a counselor before proceeding so you get emotional support and understand your rights and options.

2. Get medical care if needed. Request a rape kit to preserve forensic evidence, even if the assault happened days ago. Many states allow rape kits up to 5 days or more after an incident.

3. Report the crime to police and cooperate to get the video footage seized immediately before it deletes. The evidence may reveal additional victims. Police may issue emergency protection orders.

4. Contact your local rape crisis center. Their attorneys provide free legal advice and can advocate for you with police while filing charges.

5. A civil attorney can file a restraining order and pursue damages. The standard of proof is lower in civil cases.

You have time on your side in terms of evidence. Do not hesitate to get expert help. I wish you healing and justice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.