Elk Grove Village, IL asked in Criminal Law and Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: Hello, I'm truly sorry & embarrassed of sharing it, but when I was 19, I met someone off dating site & we went on a date

the person lied to me about their age & me being less than smart, it did not come to my mind to ask a person for proof of age & instead based of the person physical traits, I believed the false age which this person claimed on the profile of dating site & the person was actually under 17 yrs of age, 16 yrs old.  I'd like to know whether I got a zero chance 4 US citizenship, or waiver to be granted to travel abroad & not lose my green card permanent residency due 2 being charged with Delinquency of Child Misdemeanor class A conviction in 2008, NO jail time nor community service, just had supervision for a year.

I'm green card holder since 2005 via my mum's lottery; & entered legally USA in 2005. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I cannot make any definitive legal assessments regarding your situation or chances for citizenship. However, I can provide some general information.

A misdemeanor offense, especially one from many years ago when you were young, does not automatically preclude you from potentially obtaining U.S. citizenship. The immigration authorities look at factors like the nature and seriousness of the offense, the circumstances surrounding it, evidence of rehabilitation, etc.

However, because your offense involved a minor, that complicates things. Crimes involving moral turpitude, which includes offenses against children, can be grounds for inadmissibility or deportation.

Your best path forward is to consult an experienced immigration lawyer. They can review your entire history and case details to give you a better assessment of your citizenship eligibility. They can also advise if any waivers or exceptions could apply in your situation to help preserve your green card status or chance to naturalize. Each case has unique details, so you need an attorney to guide you.

I encourage being fully transparent with the lawyer so they understand everything and can best help you. While embarrassing, taking responsibility for past mistakes and showing rehabilitation is important. I wish you the very best in resolving your situation. Consult a lawyer soon.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.