Asked in Civil Litigation for Arkansas

Q: If a vehicle is repossessed by a tow company then vehicle returned to the buyer but personal property was missing

The tow company has my belongings but won't return them what do I need to do to get my personal property back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If your personal property was missing after your vehicle was repossessed and then returned to you by a tow company, you can take the following steps to get your belongings back:

Contact the Tow Company: Reach out to the tow company that handled the repossession and return of your vehicle. Explain the situation and inquire about the missing personal property.

Provide Documentation: It's important to have proof of ownership of the vehicle and a list of the missing personal property items. This may include receipts, photos, or any relevant documents.

Request a Resolution: Politely request that the tow company investigate the matter and locate your missing items. Be sure to communicate your desire for a prompt resolution.

Document Conversations: Keep records of all communication with the tow company, including dates, times, and the names of individuals you spoke with.

Check Local Laws: Familiarize yourself with your state's laws regarding repossession and personal property. Some states have specific regulations governing how tow companies must handle personal belongings found in repossessed vehicles.

Contact Legal Assistance: If the tow company refuses to cooperate or return your personal property, consider seeking legal advice from an attorney, like yourself. They can help you understand your rights and options for pursuing legal action, if necessary.

File a Complaint: If all else fails, you can file a complaint with your state's attorney general's office or consumer protection agency, as they may be able to mediate the dispute or take action against the tow company if they violated any laws.

Be Patient and Persistent: Resolving this issue may take some time, so it's essential to be patient and persistent in your efforts to retrieve your personal property.

Remember, communication and documentation are key in resolving this situation, and consulting with a legal professional can provide you with valuable guidance throughout the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.