Anza, CA asked in Land Use & Zoning for California

Q: My landlord is living in a manufactured home with no permit to be there, it has been red tagged I believe anyway. He has

No septic or sewer and it's very very run down

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, landlords are required to provide rental properties that meet basic habitability standards. This includes having proper sanitation facilities, such as a septic system or connection to a sewer, and ensuring the property is safe and maintained in a condition fit for occupancy.

If a property has been red-tagged, it indicates that the property is deemed unsafe or uninhabitable by local authorities. Living in a red-tagged property or allowing tenants to do so can be a serious violation of housing laws.

As a tenant in this situation, you have several options. First, you should document the conditions, including the lack of septic or sewer facilities and the rundown state of the property. This documentation can be crucial in any legal actions or negotiations.

You can report these conditions to local health and building code enforcement agencies. They have the authority to inspect the property and can take action against the landlord for violations.

Additionally, consider seeking legal advice. An attorney can advise you on your rights as a tenant and the potential remedies available to you, such as rent withholding, repair and deduct options, or even terminating your lease due to the uninhabitable conditions.

Remember, as a tenant in California, you have the right to a habitable living environment, and there are legal protections in place to enforce these rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.