Minneapolis, MN asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for North Dakota

Q: Son had a public defender, but requested different. Then that PD ended up defending the person accusing my son in a

Federal drug case. Is that legal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In the scenario you've described, where a public defender initially assigned to your son in a federal drug case ends up representing the person accusing your son, there are potential concerns regarding conflicts of interest. In legal practice, particularly in criminal defense, attorneys are required to avoid situations where their representation of one client may adversely affect another.

If your son's public defender is now representing the accuser in the same case, this could raise significant ethical questions. The American Bar Association's Model Rules of Professional Conduct, which many states follow, generally prohibit attorneys from representing clients with conflicting interests without informed consent from all involved parties.

It's advisable for your son to bring this matter to the attention of the court, particularly if he feels that his defense may be compromised. The court can review the situation to determine if there's a conflict of interest that warrants the appointment of a new public defender for your son.

Given the complexity of federal drug cases and the crucial importance of fair representation, it may also be beneficial to consult with an independent attorney who can provide specific guidance based on the details of your son's case. An attorney can assist in addressing this potential conflict and ensure that your son's legal rights are protected throughout the proceedings. Remember, every defendant is entitled to effective and conflict-free legal representation, especially in serious criminal matters.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.