Honolulu, HI asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Hawaii

Q: What are your rights as a parent when your child is facing criminal offense investigation? - Besides having an attorney

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: When a child faces a criminal offense investigation in Hawaii, parents have rights and responsibilities beyond securing legal representation. Parents should stay informed about the charges, legal proceedings, and potential consequences, with the child's attorney serving as a crucial source of updates. Respecting the child's privacy rights, parents can discuss communications with the attorney to maintain confidentiality. In many cases, parents can attend court hearings, allowing them to be present and informed throughout the legal process. Understanding the juvenile justice system is essential if the child is a minor, and parents should actively support their child emotionally while addressing any underlying issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.