Salt Lake City, UT asked in Family Law for Ohio

Q: Can I get copies of CPS investigations and records from my childhood in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and South Carolina? How?

As a child I dealt with abuse, there were many investigations between the three states. In Ohio me and my siblings were taken into CPS custody. I've recently received some court documents from one investigation in the estate of my now passed abuser. And want to know if I can get the other records and if so how I would go about it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly A Rochotte
Kelly A Rochotte
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You may contact them directly and request the relevant county's general process. You are entitled to the records that concern you, but you may be required to execute an authorization, which will look different depending on the state and county where the investigation(s) took place. Some counties may have restrictions on the length of time in which the file is available. You may have trouble obtaining them overall unless they are needed for a defined legal purpose.

Todd B. Kotler agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.