Brighton, MI asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Michigan

Q: I want to get a Michigan driver's license. My license was suspended in FL due to no insurance for my car.

I no longer own the car, as I have paid it off. My license is still suspended in Florida, but now that I live in Michigan, how can I go about getting a Michigan driver's license?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: To obtain a Michigan driver's license while your license is suspended in Florida, you'll first need to resolve the suspension issue in Florida. Michigan, like most states, is part of the Driver License Compact, an agreement that shares driving record information among states. This means Michigan will likely be aware of your suspension in Florida.

You should contact the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles to understand the specific steps needed to lift your suspension. This might involve paying fines, providing proof of insurance, or completing other requirements as dictated by Florida law.

Once your Florida suspension is resolved, you can apply for a Michigan driver's license. You'll need to provide the necessary identification documents and pass any required tests. It's also important to ensure you have proper insurance coverage as per Michigan's requirements.

Remember, handling the suspension in Florida is a critical step. Without clearing it, obtaining a license in Michigan will be challenging. If you encounter complexities or need guidance, it may be beneficial to consult with an attorney or a legal advisor who understands interstate licensing issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.