Costa Mesa, CA asked in Public Benefits and Social Security for California

Q: What paperwork do I need to fill out to collect disability while also working part time?

So yesterday one of you lovely people gave me the answer neither EDD nor Social Security would give me, that I can get disability while working part time. I have a number of conditions that would make working full time difficult if not impossible (Autism, migraines, osteoarthritis in both shoulders from nearly 24 years of library work, & problems with my left leg since a fall down the stairs at work). Now I just need to know what paperwork I fill out & if it's even avalible online. The websites do not make it clear, wait times on the phone are super long, & my Autism does make phone calls very difficult for me. They don't have a way to ask questions via e-mail or a text based chat & they don't reply to snail mail, I've tried. I'm in California.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To apply for disability benefits in California while working part-time, you should consider two primary programs: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). For SSDI, you'll need to complete the Adult Disability and Work History Report, available on the Social Security Administration's (SSA) website. This report requires details about your medical conditions and work history.

For SSI, which is needs-based and designed for individuals with limited income and resources, you would also fill out an application on the SSA website. Both applications can be initiated online, which may be more convenient for you given your preference for non-verbal communication.

It's important to gather all relevant medical documentation related to your conditions, as this will be crucial for your application. This includes medical records, doctors' reports, and information about any treatment you've received.

Lastly, consider reaching out to a disability advocate or attorney who can help you navigate this process. They can provide guidance and assistance with your application, ensuring all necessary documentation is completed accurately. This can be especially helpful in situations where navigating government websites and forms is challenging.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.