Washington, IL asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Illinois

Q: Can a sheriff or local police arrest you without a warrant? I'm being harassed by authority's at my home .

I just left my probation? She said I don't have any warrant but I'm being harassed by authority's??at home &I'm afraid to answer the door what should I do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In the United States, a sheriff or local police can arrest someone without a warrant under certain circumstances. This typically includes situations where an officer has probable cause to believe that a person has committed a crime, or in cases of a crime committed in the officer's presence.

If you feel you're being harassed by authorities at your home, it's important to stay calm and understand your rights. You have the right to ask if they have a warrant and the reason for their presence. If they do not have a warrant, you are not obligated to let them into your home unless they insist there are exigent circumstances.

Documenting these interactions can be helpful. If you believe your rights are being violated, keeping a record of the dates, times, and nature of the visits can support any complaints or legal actions you might take later.

If the harassment continues, consider consulting with an attorney. An attorney can provide guidance on how to handle the situation and protect your rights. They can also help in filing a formal complaint against the officers or the department if necessary.

Remember, if you feel threatened or unsafe, it's important to seek help. This could involve contacting a legal representative, a civil rights organization, or even local community support groups. They can offer support and advice on how to proceed in such situations.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.