Seneca, MO asked in Real Estate Law for Missouri

Q: Can I take my ex wife back to court to get my name taken off the mortgage?

My divorce was final in April last year and my ex refuses to see if she would qualify fopr a loan assumption even though I am willing to pay for it. SInce I had to sign the deed over to her, I want my name off the mortgage so my debt to income ratio will come down. Can I take her back to court to either force her to file for an assumption or force the sale of the house?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Read your Court Decree. If the mortgage is not addressed then you have no leverage to force her to refinance. If you deeded it to her then you own nothing and have no right to a partition sale. However you are still obligated on the note.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.