Houston, TX asked in Family Law and Civil Rights for Texas

Q: Is It possible to change first, middle, and surname as well as a gender marker?

I am 18 years old, still a dependent of my parents, have no criminal record and simply want to have a separate identity from my family and my dead name.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Yes, it is possible to change your first, middle, and last name, as well as your gender marker, in Texas, even if you are 18 years old and a dependent of your parents. The process involves legal steps and may require court approval for name changes. Here's what you can consider:

Name Change: To change your first, middle, and last name, you can typically file a petition for a name change in the county where you reside. This process may involve a court hearing, but you can request the change as an adult without needing parental consent.

Gender Marker Change: Texas allows individuals to update the gender marker on their driver's license or identification card. This can be done by presenting appropriate documentation, which may include a statement from a licensed physician indicating your gender transition.

Consult an Attorney: While you can pursue these changes on your own, it's often beneficial to consult with an attorney who is experienced in name and gender marker changes. They can guide you through the legal process and help ensure all required documentation is in order.

Financial Considerations: Depending on your financial situation, you may qualify for fee waivers or reduced fees for the name change petition. An attorney can help you explore these options.

Identity Update: Once the name and gender marker changes are legally approved, you can proceed to update your identification documents, such as driver's license, Social Security card, and passport.

Notify Interested Parties: It's important to notify relevant institutions, organizations, and agencies about your name and gender marker changes to update their records.

While being a dependent may not directly impact the name and gender marker change process, it's important to discuss your intentions with your parents to ensure they are aware of your decisions. Consulting with an attorney in Texas will provide you with specific guidance and support throughout the process to establish your desired identity.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.