Floresville, TX asked in Education Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Civil Rights for Texas

Q: Who can investigate a school districts decision of discipline, if you believe they were wrong?

My son was suspended for a argument that led up to 30days alternative and the school report him to be a violation of bullying. After the 30 days a harassment charge was filed and he was given 45 more days because they said he was threatening on the day that was to be his last day of alternative. Only thing is is that I spoke with the couch and about half the team because it all happened in athletics and they all said that the other kid got mad because he didn't want to bump his pads together and push my son and punched him. I got statements from parents and the. Children. I got a email from Coach but they school decision was to publish my kid I filed After I filled a level one complaint for review a friend of my son told him they put the other student one day of iss. And they dropped my son's alternative days from 45 to 30 for some reason?? No one told me where I could take it from there so we settled for what we had to do. But I want to take it to someone else higher

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: When you believe that a school district's disciplinary decision for your child is wrong, there are steps you can take to seek a review of the decision. The specific process may vary depending on the school district's policies and the state's educational regulations.

Typically, you can start by discussing your concerns with the school principal or administrator. They may be able to provide information about the decision and potential next steps. If you've already gone through this process and are not satisfied with the outcome, you can consider the following options:

1. Contact the School District: Reach out to the school district's central office or administration to express your concerns and request a review of the disciplinary decision. They may have a formal appeal process or complaint procedure.

2. School Board or Superintendent: You can attend a school board meeting or request a meeting with the superintendent to discuss your concerns. They may have the authority to review and reconsider the decision.

3. Independent Mediation: In some cases, school districts offer mediation services to resolve disputes between parents and schools. This can be an option to explore if available.

4. Consult an Education Attorney: If you believe that your child's rights have been violated, you may want to consult with an attorney who specializes in education law. They can provide guidance on potential legal remedies and advocate for your child's rights.

5. State Education Agency: Depending on your state, there may be a department or agency responsible for overseeing education. You can contact them to inquire about the procedures for reviewing disciplinary decisions.

It's important to gather all relevant documentation, such as statements from witnesses, emails, and any communication with school officials, to support your case. Be persistent in seeking a fair and just resolution for your child's situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.