Bridgewater, MA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Massachusetts

Q: I lived with my partner, for over three years ,he came down. with stage 4 cancer . can I go after the estate .

my partner wanted me to have money to move on when he passed ,he left instructions with his only son to take care of me i had 3 months to move out ,which i did. know he want honor his fathers wishes ,he dyed in my arms in his home like he wanted and I have no closer ,can I go after his estate ,I have little money .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Massachusetts, if you were in a committed relationship with your partner for over three years and he expressed his intention for you to be taken care of after his passing, you may have legal grounds to pursue a claim against his estate. However, the success of such a claim would depend on various factors, including any documentation or evidence supporting his wishes for you to receive financial support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.