Laurel, MD asked in Contracts and Consumer Law for New Jersey

Q: I want out of my solar contract and a refund.

I'm in New Jersey and I was sold a solar system that was supposed to offset 90% of my utility usage and it barely offsets 35%. I have it in writing where my sells person told the company if my system didn't offset 90% I would decline the system and then the sells person came back to let me know in writing that the system I would be receiving would offset 90% of utility costs. I have been complaining to the Solar Provider for 6 months now and they are telling me my system is performing correctly and there is nothing they can do. I want out of this contract so I can get a system that handles my need.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa Totaro
Melissa Totaro
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Fairfield, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Based on the facts as you recount them you could have a viable cause of action under the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act, which prohibits merchants from engaging in certain unfair conduct, including false promise, misrepresentation and otherwise deceptive tactics. The Consumer Fraud Act provides for triple the monetary loss of a consumer who prevails in an action against a merchant, as well as payment of your attorneys' fees by the defendant. You should contact a lawyer who practices in the area of consumer law and be prepared to provide the documentation that you refer to in your question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.