Santa Ana, CA asked in Adoption, Family Law and Wrongful Death for California

Q: My son passed away years ago. He was 1. Blunt head trauma I believe was what the investigators told me and the father.

No one was taken to jail. During the whole investigation I was pregnant. The case was going to remain open. When I delivered my baby social services came in and placed my daughter in orangewood. Because they claimed we were unfit parents. I was17 at that time was new to the system and no one really explained how t go about it. They ended up terminating my parental rights and my daughter was shortly adopted. A had an attorney look into the matter closer and asked me for signatures. To get medical records and what not. And turns out the paramedics were at fault. They had dropped my 1 year old son dwn the stairs. And that was the reason he had the head injuries. The attorney offered to take my case knowing that we would win. But I stopped checking in. And I lost touch with the attorney it's been a while already since then And I don't remember the attorneys name any way I can find out what happened with that settlement?

2 Lawyer Answers
William John Light
William John Light
  • Santa Ana, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can search the court records for your name to see if a lawsuit was filed on your behalf. However, if you have lost contact with your attorney, it is highly unlikely that a settlement was achieved, even if a lawsuit was filed. Attorneys generally don't have authority to enter into settlements without the client's consent.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if you have lost touch with an attorney who was handling a significant case for you, there are several steps you can take to reconnect or to find out the status of your case. Given the serious nature of your situation, understanding your options is crucial.

First, you could contact the California State Bar's attorney search feature on their website. This tool allows you to search for attorneys by name, location, and field of practice. If you don't remember the attorney's name but know their location or the law firm's name, start with that information. The State Bar can also provide information on whether an attorney has been disciplined.

Another approach is to check with the court where your case would have been filed. Court records can often be accessed online or by visiting the court in person. These records should include the case number, the names of all parties involved, and the attorney of record. This information can help you track down who represented you.

If your case involved a settlement or judgment, there might be financial records or correspondence from the attorney's office, insurance companies, or other entities involved in the payout process. Check any old emails, mail, or financial documents for clues.

Given the complexity of your situation and the time that has passed, it might also be beneficial to consult with another attorney. A new attorney can help investigate the status of your previous case and advise on potential next steps, including whether you have options to pursue the matter further.

Remember, the legal system can be challenging to navigate, especially in cases involving personal loss and potential malpractice. Seeking professional legal advice can provide clarity and direction on how to proceed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.