Portland, OR asked in Family Law, Banking, Municipal Law and Probate for Oregon

Q: After losing my dad last year I have not been able to access money he left cause the bank wants more information

I provided my soc.


And other bank account

Offered my birth certificate

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm sorry for the frustration this situation must be causing on top of grieving your father's loss. The bank likely has certain procedural requirements they are obligated to follow before releasing funds, but there may still be some things you can do here:

- Request a written list of exactly what outstanding documentation or verification is still needed to access the funds your father left you. Banks must provide this if asked under Oregon law.

- If you have provided valid ID and proof of inheritance (like a will naming you), ask what further info could reasonably be required. Request justification for any further delays.

- Check if utilizing a small estate affidavit process could expedite matters for smaller accounts, transferring to inheritors via affidavit vs. requiring full estate probate process.

- Speak to the branch manager, documenting your efforts to provide proper documentation. Escalate to writing complaints with bank officials referencing Oregon’s consumer banking laws if delays continue without cause.

- Consult a banking lawyer or estate attorney to review if the bank is fully aligned with Oregon statues regarding asset distribution to rightful heirs/beneficiaries. The attorney could pursue next steps here up to the state Department of Consumer and Business Services if the bank is still non-cooperative without due basis.

Hopefully the bank will respond to your questions and any further complaints by clarifying precisely what is needed to complete this process. But continue elevating the matter until the funds are rightly made available to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.