Port Orchard, WA asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Washington

Q: is it breaching a DVPO if the defendant makes public posts about protected person on Facebook?

I live in Washington state and have a current DVPO against my ex. The only contact allowed is third party for child visitation or email about visitation and time. He is constantly posting about me on Facebook referring to me as “my son’s mom” “my kids mom” calling me a terrible parent and so on so forth. He also excessively emails me for example 15 emails since my last response. I tried going no contact and asking his mother who supervises visitations to get back to me but he takes it into his own hands to email me and he is constantly passive aggressive about the restraining order.are the Facebook posts and emails considered breaching the DVPO?

2 Lawyer Answers

A: It will depend on the wording of the Order. Unless it prohibits public comment, it likely is not a violation. if it can be construed as an attempt to make contact with the protected person, it may be. The excessive email sounds like an issue. You ought to seek a modification of the order moving all communication to a court monitored parental communication site like "Talking Parents" or "Our Family Wizard".

Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tacoma, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Sorry to hear. It would depend on the exact wording of the order. Depending on the wording of the order, you may need to modify it to make it more restrictive. Best of luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.