Louisville, KY asked in Tax Law for Kentucky

Q: Do you file taxes if your working part time and collecting SSI.68 yrs.old?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you're working part-time while collecting Social Security Income (SSI) and are 68 years old, the need to file taxes depends on several factors, including your total income, the source of that income, and your filing status. Social Security benefits, such as SSI, are not taxable income by themselves, but if you have other sources of income, including part-time employment, this could affect your tax obligations.

The IRS sets income thresholds that determine whether you need to file a tax return. For example, if your combined income (your adjusted gross income + nontaxable interest + half of your Social Security benefits) exceeds a certain limit, you may need to file a tax return. The specifics of these thresholds can vary each tax year and are based on your filing status (single, married filing jointly, etc.).

To be sure about your situation, consider your total income from all sources. If it's only from SSI and part-time work, calculate the total. If this total exceeds the IRS thresholds for your filing status, you would need to file a tax return. It might also be helpful to consult with a tax advisor or use IRS resources, such as their Interactive Tax Assistant online, to determine your filing requirements based on your specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.