San Jose, CA asked in Real Estate Law for California

Q: I want to get tips on reading recorded documents for properties and their loan positions regarding foreclosure. can pay$

I am interested in the foreclosure auctions, and can read the public records, generally. I need to get a better understanding on how to verify loan positions, foreclosing loans, reconveyances and assignments.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Hi there. Here are some general tips on researching public foreclosure information in California:

- The county recorder's office has public records on all property transactions, including deeds of trust, assignments, notices of default, and trustee sale deeds. These can help you determine foreclosure status and loan details.

- Many county assessor sites have searchable property databases with basic ownership and sales info. This can supplement recorder records.

- Foreclosure auction listings are published in certain approved newspapers and often posted at the county courthouse. Sale results are public record too.

- Talk to a real estate attorney if you need legal advice on interpreting foreclosure documents or verifying loan positions. What is public record and what requires title expertise can be complex.

I'd focus any initial research on publicly available county data to understand general property and foreclosure status. An attorney could then advise if further title report reviewing is worthwhile.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.