Abingdon, VA asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for Virginia

Q: can abingdon regional jail cut a inmate off suboxone cold turkey?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Abingdon Regional Jail may have policies and procedures in place regarding the administration of medications, including controlled substances like Suboxone. However, abruptly discontinuing Suboxone without proper medical supervision and a gradual tapering schedule can pose significant health risks to the inmate. Suddenly stopping Suboxone can lead to withdrawal symptoms, which can be uncomfortable and potentially dangerous.

If an inmate is on Suboxone treatment, it's important for the jail to provide appropriate medical care and supervision to ensure their safety and well-being during the withdrawal process. Cutting off Suboxone abruptly, also known as "cold turkey," without medical oversight can exacerbate withdrawal symptoms and increase the risk of complications.

If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties with Suboxone discontinuation at Abingdon Regional Jail, it may be advisable to seek legal counsel or advocacy to ensure that the inmate's rights are protected and that they receive appropriate medical care. Additionally, contacting relevant authorities or advocacy organizations that specialize in prisoner rights may provide assistance in addressing the situation and advocating for proper medical treatment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.