Asked in Child Custody, Criminal Law and Divorce for Kentucky

Q: Can my soon to be ex husband take custody of my kids away due to fiances former drug use ?

My fiance and I split due to his addiction - my 4 children from my previous marriage live with us and he was using while living here for a while - we decided to split due to his addiction. He is now clean and we are trying to reconcile but the issue is my soon to be ex husband (divorce isn't finalized) claims that he will file full custody of our children if I take my fiance back. There is no standing custody agreement. What should I do ?

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: It is possible but really unlikely unless your fiance is currently on drugs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.