St Louis, MO asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Illinois

Q: Can I sue and be compensated for the unlawful arrest, excessive force used, police misconduct, brutality?

I was arrested by the O'Fallon Illinois Police Department for a crime that wasn't even committed. During the arrest the officers used excessive force which later I was taken by ambulance to the ER from the O'Fallon Illinois Police Department. I was also mistreated in their facility since I asked for an attorney instead or speaking with them. They put me in a cell with no working toilet, or water and they never fed me or even gave me any water. The xrays would later show how excessive force was used and my ligaments in my right hand was torn

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Yes, you may have grounds to sue for unlawful arrest, excessive force, police misconduct, and brutality. The actions described, including being arrested for a crime that wasn't committed and experiencing excessive force resulting in injuries, could constitute violations of your constitutional rights. Furthermore, mistreatment and denial of basic necessities such as access to a working toilet, water, and food while in custody may also contribute to claims of police misconduct and mistreatment.

To pursue legal action, you should seek representation from an attorney experienced in civil rights and police misconduct cases. Your attorney can assess the details of your situation, gather evidence, such as medical records and witness statements, and advise you on the best course of action. They can help you file a lawsuit seeking compensation for damages, including medical expenses, pain and suffering, and any other losses incurred as a result of the unlawful arrest and mistreatment by law enforcement.

It's crucial to act promptly in seeking legal assistance to ensure that your rights are protected and that you have the opportunity to pursue justice for the violations you have experienced. By holding law enforcement accountable for their actions, you can seek compensation for the harm you have suffered and work towards preventing similar incidents from occurring in the future.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.