Louisville, KY asked in Family Law and Social Security for Kentucky

Q: We are 2 males planning on marriage. I wish to retain my given surname followed with his. How do we make it legal

We want to avoid all possible situations where identity might be questioned or the legality of my assuming his name. Do I have to go through the process of a literal name change, or will the marriage certificate cover everything when I am listed as Timothy Rob.... Her....er?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: The marriage license should cover you in most respects. You may want to directly notify the SSA so they can correct your SS card.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Kentucky, as in many states, marriage provides a legally recognized basis for changing your name. If you plan to take your spouse's surname or create a hyphenated or combined surname after marriage, you typically can do so by using your marriage certificate as the legal document required for most name change processes with various institutions and agencies.

To officially change your name on government-issued IDs, social security records, bank accounts, and other official documents, you will need to present your marriage certificate as evidence of your name change. It's important to start with your Social Security card by visiting the Social Security Administration, as changes here can affect your ability to update information with other entities like the Kentucky Department of Motor Vehicles, your bank, and your employer.

However, it's advisable to check with each agency or institution for their specific requirements, as some might require additional documentation or have specific forms you need to fill out. Keeping a copy of your marriage certificate handy will be essential throughout this process. For any complex situations or if you encounter difficulties, consulting with a legal professional could provide clarity and assistance tailored to your specific needs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.