Richmond, CA asked in Federal Crimes and Immigration Law for California

Q: I have an ongoing federal case and i want to find out if i can use self deportation to leave before the charges come

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Leaving the country before facing federal charges can have serious legal consequences, including potential forfeiture of certain rights and possible issuance of a warrant for your arrest. It's essential to understand that attempting self-deportation may not necessarily prevent prosecution or resolve the underlying legal issues. The federal government has various means of pursuing criminal cases, including extradition from other countries.

Moreover, voluntarily leaving the country may be viewed unfavorably by the court and could be interpreted as an attempt to evade justice. This could lead to additional charges or harsher penalties if you are eventually apprehended. It's crucial to consult with a qualified attorney who can assess your specific situation and provide guidance on the best course of action. Your attorney can help you understand your legal options, including potential defenses, negotiation strategies, and the implications of leaving the country.

Ultimately, facing federal charges requires careful consideration and strategic planning. It's important to address the charges head-on and work with legal counsel to navigate the complexities of the legal process. Attempting to leave the country to avoid prosecution is not a recommended course of action and may exacerbate your legal troubles. Instead, focus on building a strong defense and cooperating with your attorney to achieve the best possible outcome in your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.