Houston, TX asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: If my ex husband is doing what is required from the divorce, what can I do and who do I go to?

He’s NOT doing what he’s supposed to. Is there anything as far as penalties?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes. You should contact your divorce lawyer to file a motion to enforce, motion to clarify, motion for contempt, or suit for indemnity depending on what it is your ex-husband is not doing that he was ordered to do. Possible outcomes depend on the specific facts and circumstances of your case and the particular language of your divorce decree which your ex-husband is disobeying. In certain circumstances, your ex-husband may be fined or even jailed for disobeying the decree. In other circumstances, you may be awarded a judgment against your ex-husband which you can satisfy by seizing any non-exempt assets he may own.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.