Portland, OR asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Oregon

Q: Currently have a court appointed lawyer who’s not really doing his job. The charge I face as well as the no contact orde

Order could of been dropped the same day I hade my hearing in jail. The alleged victim is trying to set the story straight based off information the police got on hearsay and it’s effecting our lives big time. My girlfriend is pregnant and needs me to be there for but with the no contact order in effect as well as the unlawful use of a firearm charge it’s difficult. The DA is playing games trying to build a case when there isn’t one. I don’t have money for a lawyer but I was wondering if there are in non profit or por bono type guys that could handle this

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If you truly don't get along with your court appointed attorney, ask the Judge for a different one. Court appointed defense attorneys are how indigent defendants are taken care of and are paid by the State. Why would any other attorney volunteer their time and not be paid when you have a paid attorney option?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.