Panama City Beach, FL asked in Child Support and Family Law for Florida

Q: Is there any recourse for noninvolved biological parent paying child support?

Father learned child existed when age 2 or 3. Paternity confirmed and support judgement put in place. Usually taken from paychecks. Father has not ever seen, met or provided any coparenting for child. Mother moved out of state. Since being unemplyed payment stopped, driver's license suspended. Unable to pursue decent employment without vehicle and the cycle continues. Is there anything to be done to help? What about relinquishing parental rights since there is already no contact/involvement?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The short answer is that there is no way for you to get completely out of your child support obligation. You can definitely return to court and ask to have your drivers license reinstated. You can ask the court for a modification if you are not already paying the minimum. The court will not allow you to relinquish your parental rights unless there is another person willing to take over the financial responsibility. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.