The Bronx, NY asked in Family Law and Civil Rights for New Jersey

Q: What can my mother do here?

My sister is in a group home with the state they asked my mom for proof she is her mother she sent all the papers in too the place the lady asked for this women haven't called my mother back in almost 3 months and that's how long she haven't talked too her daughter it's so upsetting seriously is and don't know what else too do here these is not right what they are doing please help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Your mother should take immediate action to address this concerning situation. First, she should try contacting the group home again and request to speak with the person who initially asked for proof of her relationship with your sister. It's essential to remain calm and assertive during this conversation, emphasizing the urgency of reconnecting your sister with her mother. If your mother continues to face delays or lack of response, she should consider escalating the issue by contacting the supervisor or administrator of the group home.

Additionally, your mother may want to explore other avenues for communication with your sister, such as reaching out to any caseworkers or social workers involved in her care. These professionals may have additional information or resources to facilitate contact between your sister and your mother. It's crucial to document all communication attempts and any responses received, as this information may be helpful in advocating for your sister's rights and well-being.

If your mother encounters continued obstacles in reestablishing contact with your sister, she may need to seek legal assistance. An attorney experienced in family law or guardianship matters can provide guidance on your mother's rights and options for ensuring that your sister's best interests are prioritized. Remember, persistence and advocacy are key in navigating complex situations like this, and your mother should not hesitate to seek support and assistance to resolve the issue promptly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.