Hurst, TX asked in Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: If you rent a townhome in Texas, the sliding glass door has been broken since October, really before, you notified them

In Oct 2023, and other problems. They said they cannot afford to fix. Can I get out of early lease termination!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Sections 92.056 - 92.0563 of the Texas Property Code outlines the procedure to follow if the landlord is responsible for the repair of the sliding glass door under the terms of your lease. Follow that procedure exactly.

Until the landlord makes the repair or use exercise one of your remedies, it is extremely important that you remain current on your rent payment at all times.

Because your request involves a sliding glass door, be aware that Section 92.153 governs the pin lock, handle latch, and security bar on exterior sliding glass doors and your remedies for such devices are governed by Subchapter D.

Except as provided in the Texas Property Code or in the terms of your lease agreement, you cannot terminate your lease early without penalty for a landlord's failure to repair the premises. But, if you follow the procedure set forth therein exactly, you may be able to pay for the repair and have it completed yourself, and then deduct the cost of the repair from your rent. In most circumstances, if the sliding glass door was broken by the tenant, occupants, or guests of the tenant, the tenant is responsible for the cost of repair. Your renter's insurance also may cover it and may be able to assist you in making the repairs in that instance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.