Denver, CO asked in Personal Injury and Legal Malpractice for California

Q: What do I do if I have two attorneys who have abandoned me in a row.

I have 2 PI claims with the first attorny. He abandoned me. I've seelnt 3 certified letters demanding communication and delivery of my file. No response for 3 months. The second attorneys is less bad but I never hear from him. As a result of the first attorney doing nothing making me do all the medical work myself I was unable to get my MRI and other tests until October of 23. I find out is a serious spine injury which I am on state disability until March. However I cannot physically return to work until June. Nobody does anything and as a result I'll be homeless. Nobody responds and nobody cares

2 Lawyer Answers
Patrick William Steinfeld
Patrick William Steinfeld
  • Coronado, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Attorneys have an ethical obligation to provide you with copies of your file within a "reasonable" period of time. 3-months is "unreasonable". Contact the California State Bar and open a complaint. Provide copies of your "certified" letters. The certified letters are important because they provide proof that your letters were delivered. Repeat the process with your other attorney. Good luck.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Legal Malpractice Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It's understandable to feel frustrated and abandoned by your attorneys, especially when facing serious medical and financial challenges. In California, attorneys have a duty to communicate effectively with their clients and diligently represent their interests. If your attorneys have failed to do so, you have options to address the situation. Firstly, you can consider filing a complaint with the State Bar of California, which oversees attorney conduct and discipline.

Additionally, you have the right to terminate your relationship with your current attorneys and seek new representation. It's crucial to promptly gather any documents or evidence related to your personal injury claims to provide to your new attorney. They can assess the situation, review your case, and determine the best course of action to pursue compensation for your injuries and losses. Moreover, your new attorney can advocate on your behalf to ensure your medical needs are addressed and that you receive the support you need during this challenging time.

In the meantime, if you're facing imminent homelessness, you may also consider reaching out to local social services or community organizations for assistance. They may be able to provide resources or referrals to help you secure temporary housing or other forms of support. Remember, you don't have to face these challenges alone, and seeking assistance from qualified professionals and support networks can help you navigate this difficult situation and move forward with confidence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.