Atlanta, GA asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: Do I have to have a separate room for my daughter in order to win custody. Currently temp time share. Want sleepovers.

I have a 4 year old daughter. I am currently going threw a divorce. my Divorce lawyer tells me that I have to get my own place. I live with my brother and I have my own room. I am on the lease now. I told my DL that I can give my daughter my room and I can set up the livingroom for myself. So it shows that she has her own room. My DL said, that would not work and it will not be allowed. I have to have my own place.

My DL said that I have to have my own room and my daughter has to have her own room. I have to show that i am capable of taking care of myself and my daughter. Which I understand, but I have friends and coworkers that has won custody battles with just an efficiency. I don't understand why I can't neither.

Straight forward, Can I get an efficiency or a 1 bedroom apartment and still be able to win custody of my daughter. Even if it's not 50/50, I just want to win custody and sleepovers with my baby. I live in Miami, Florida.

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You should believe what your attorney tells you; or get another attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.