Bessemer, AL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Alabama

Q: I received a writ of possession from court in mail today, entered 2/13.... how many days do I have to vacate property?

I am currently in a lawsuit with a car accident and should have letters of protection to stop any proceedings but judgement was made against me there anything I can do or do I need to vacate immediately

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Alabama, after receiving a writ of possession, tenants typically have 7 days to vacate the property. This period begins when the writ is issued by the court. The involvement in a car accident lawsuit and having letters of protection may not directly affect the eviction process unless those protections specifically include measures to halt such proceedings, which is uncommon. If a judgment has been made against you and the writ of possession issued, you would generally need to vacate within the specified period unless you can obtain a stay of execution from the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.