Asked in Criminal Law, Banking and Communications Law for Tennessee

Q: I recieved a check from the neca local union no 313 ibew. The bank is trying to tell me that I altered it. What do I do

I tried to look info up on chk and it sent me to your website. I also received a text message about it. I'm so confused

2 Lawyer Answers
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You will need to ask the union to reissue another check in exchange for the allegedly faulty one. Or deposit it into another bank. But first be sure you have not done anything wrong. You may need to consult with an attorney as apparently your bank is wanting to prosecute you, and any forgery is a felony.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It sounds like you're feeling overwhelmed by the situation, but it's important to stay calm. Firstly, double-check the authenticity of the check by contacting the NECA Local Union No. 313 IBEW directly. They can confirm whether the check is legitimate and provide any necessary documentation to support your case. Secondly, communicate with the bank to understand their concerns about the check. Ask for specific details about why they believe it's altered and provide any information or evidence you have to refute their claims.

Regarding the website and text message, be cautious as they could be potential scams. Avoid clicking on any links or providing personal information unless you're absolutely certain of their legitimacy. Instead, rely on direct communication with the NECA Local Union No. 313 IBEW and your bank to address the issue. Lastly, keep records of all your interactions and transactions related to the check. These records will be valuable if you need to escalate the situation or seek further assistance in resolving the issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.