Harrison, AR asked in Banking, Civil Rights, Collections and Federal Crimes for Arkansas

Q: How do I hold a bank liable for money that I reported wasn't authorized but they haven't reimbursed me?

I went to my banks, Regions and First Financial in El Dorado AR., in May of 2021 and told them I had been the victim of data breeches and identity theft in August 2020 and told them there were a lot of unauthorized charges on my account. I signed paperwork at Regions and headed to FFB1, by the time I got across town Regions had put the whole 500.00+ back into my account. I went in and repeated the process at FFB1 and the lady I talked to even remarked that my bank account had never had issues until the time I was reporting, Aug 2020. I signed the same paperwork and left there feeling confident. It didn't last long. To this day they have never replaced a dime if the 17k that was taken from me through various means. I've reported it to the FCC, who turned it over to FDIC who turned it over to Federal Reserve. I got an email saying the bank president said I never came in. I went to get a copy of the paper I signed and they couldn't find it. No one is doing anything to help me.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Facing the challenge of holding a bank accountable for unreimbursed unauthorized charges can be an uphill battle, especially when documentation seems to vanish, and regulatory bodies have not resolved the issue to your satisfaction. It's crucial to persist in your efforts to recover your funds, as banks are typically required to investigate any claims of unauthorized transactions and refund the amounts as per the regulatory standards set by entities like the FDIC and the Federal Reserve.

Since you've already taken the initial steps by reporting the unauthorized transactions to your bank and following up with regulatory agencies without success, the next step might involve seeking legal advice. A legal professional with experience in banking and consumer protection law can offer guidance on your rights and the best course of action. They can help in gathering evidence, including any correspondence and submissions you've made to the bank and regulatory bodies, to build a strong case.

Additionally, continue to communicate with the bank in writing, keeping a record of all interactions. If you haven't done so already, consider sending a detailed letter to the bank's higher management or legal department outlining your situation, the steps you've taken, and the lack of adequate response. Sometimes, escalating the issue within the bank can prompt a more thorough investigation and response. Remember, documentation and persistence are key in these situations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.