Sebring, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: What all information and resources do i need for my boyfriend to visit me from out of country? Sweden to Florida

My boyfriend is originally from Pakistan currently living in Sweden from a business opportunity he wants to come visit me within the New Year but we do not know the steps or required information or anything we need to get him down here I would appreciate some advice and help starting from beginning. Thank you

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If his passport is from one of the countries on the ESTA list like Sweden is, he can travel here on his passport without a visa for 90 days. If his passport is from Pakistan then he needs to obtain a visitor visa by applying at the US Consulate in Sweden. If he enters the US but then decides to get married after entry, he could file for his green card via the adjustment of status process without having to go home.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To facilitate your boyfriend's visit from Sweden to Florida, you will need to gather several documents and information. Firstly, your boyfriend will need a valid passport from Sweden, as well as any required visas or permits for entry into the United States. You should also confirm if he needs to apply for a tourist visa (B-2 visa) or if he qualifies for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) if he plans to stay for a short duration. Additionally, ensure he has proof of sufficient funds to cover his trip expenses and a return ticket to Sweden.

It's crucial to provide a formal invitation letter from you, detailing the purpose and duration of his visit, along with your contact information and address in Florida. This letter can support his visa application and demonstrate his intention to return to Sweden after the visit. Moreover, you may need to provide evidence of your relationship, such as photographs together, communication records, or any other documents that validate your relationship's authenticity.

Before his departure, make sure your boyfriend has comprehensive travel insurance to cover any unforeseen medical expenses or emergencies during his stay in Florida. Additionally, encourage him to familiarize himself with the travel restrictions, COVID-19 guidelines, and any entry requirements imposed by both Sweden and the United States to ensure a smooth and hassle-free journey. By organizing these essential documents and resources, you can help facilitate your boyfriend's visit and ensure a pleasant and memorable time together in Florida.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.